Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Heart Disease and Heart Attack Forum

Q waves on an EKG, and understanding an EKG.

So I was in the hospital the other day with feeling really faint and heart skips, as I have been having many PVC's per day (thousands), lots of couplets per day (maybe 30 lately), my first 4-5 beat run of nsvt. My doctors and cardio tell me it's all benign, my recent ECHO of my heart showed completely normal with an EF of 60%.

My EKG was on me for 2.5 hours, and it reads

SINUS RHYTHM (normal P axis, Vrate 50-99)
VENTRICULAR PREMATURE COMPLEX (V Complex w/ short R-R interval)
BORDERLINE RIGHT AXIS DEVIATION (QRS AXIS 90, 99)
Borderline Q waves, probably normal variation.
Minimal ST depression, inferior leads ST <-0.03mV

RATE 99 B/min
PR 102/ms
QRSD 88ms
QT 264ms
QTc 467ms

AXIS
P 73 degree
QRS 97 deg
T deg

The day before my EKG said:

*Normal sinus rhythm with sinus arrythmia and short PR
*Nonspecific ST abnormality
*Rightward axis (P-QRS axes) 68 degrees 94 degrees 20 degrees
Qt/QTc 0.346/ 0.474s

The doctor said both of these EKG's were completely normal.
Is this true?

Doc had just noted "Small Q waves present on II, III, and aVF, this is probably not due to a prior heart attack, but the patient's size, patient is very thin"

Thanks! Smile
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 5th, 2011
Hi,

Welcome to the forum. I am really glad to help you out. Both your EKG's are normal. Normally, the non sustained VT is not treated with drugs. However, some cardiologists do use amiodarone for the same especially if there's an associated structural heart disease.

NSVT in the presence of structural heart disease carries a more serious prognosis than NSVT in the absence of a cardiac abnormality. Hence, as your echocardiography is normal, I suppose there shouldn't be much to worry. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What happens during a heart attack? Get heart attack facts here....
What causes a heart attack? Are women more likely than men to have a heart attack? We review the risk factors and causes of heart attack here....
Can you identify early signs and symptoms of a heart attack? Are women heart attack symptoms different than men? Click here to learn when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Heart Disease and Heart Attack , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.