Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Urinary and Bladder Disorders Forum

push and strain to empty my badder a gush a a time.

User Profile
I am 39 and m having problems urinating. Iwhen I feel like I have to urinate I try but I have to push hard nd strin as ifi was having a hard bowl movement to get the urine to come out. And it doesn't star to come out and then it just flows without any further problems, I have tomcontinuento push and strain to empty my badder a gush a a time. And I don't feel like I've completely emptied my bladder when I'm done. I take narcotics for chronic pain but I've been on them for years and have not had this issue ever. I recently had an upper GI because I became very sick and went to the ER and my bloodworm showed a very elevated alt, ast and other liver function numbers. My dr tested for all the heps because I work in a lab in the hospital with blood but all were negative. After a repeat bloodwork, my numbers were down by half which thendr said was great because if they returned to normal, he thought the original high numbers were probably the result of an infection. Why the urine issues?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 18th, 2012
Urinary and Bladder Disorders Answer A37211
Hi,
Welcome to the ehealthforum. I am glad to help you out. The narcotics which you’re taking for the pain are not good on a long term basis. They are known to relax the smooth muscles of the body like the intestines and the urinary bladder muscles which can result in constipation and urinary retention respectively. Firstly, my sincere advice is to avoid any narcotics and gradually tapering down the dose which you’re already taking. An ultrasound of the lower part of the abdomen should also help in knowing any other reason for the obstruction in the flow of urine. Please consult a urologist for the same. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
One in five women will develop a UTI during her life. But what are UTIs? and what causes this type of infection?...
Why are women more at risk of developing UTI than men? Read here for more on what causes urinary tract infections and what puts you at risk of UTI....
A UTI can affect the bladder, kidney, ureters and/or the urethra. Learn which symptoms indicate urinary tract infection, complications and when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Urinary and Bladder Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.