Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Sexually Transmitted Diseases Forum

Pus filled bumps on genital area

Must Read
Chlamydia is the most common STD in the U.S. Learn how this potentially serious sexually transmitted disease is spread so you can protect yourself....
Learn more about the germ that causes this sexually transmitted infection (STI) and evaluate whether or not you are at high risk of getting chlamydia here....
Left untreated, chlamydia can cause serious complications such as infertility. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of chlamydia here to prevent illness....
User Profile
Hi, for about 5 years I've been having these pus filled bumps on my genital area. I've never had sex so I don't think it herpes. I want to know what it is & how I can get rid of them? I've tried popping them & some won't pop & others will and brown pus will come out with blood. or sometimes it will be blood mixed with pus. Is this a sexually transmitted disease & if so how did I get it if I never had sex before?

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile

User Profile
replied August 11th, 2010
Sexually Transmitted Diseases Answer A15177
Hi! Many thanks for your question on eHealth forum!

You are probably talking about Hidradenitis suppurativa, which presents as recurrent boil-like pus-like discharge abscesses resulting in difficult-to-heal open wounds and scarring. It commonly occurs on apocrine sweat gland-bearing skin such as in the groin, the underarms and under the breasts. It is also known as ‘acne inversa’. The disease can spread to genitals. It can also be due to staphylococcal skin infections.

Treatment is by topical antibiotics and steroids. Retenoid group of drugs also help. Wash skin with antiseptic lotions daily to decrease bacteria. Wear loose fitting clothes.
Please consult a dermatologist for a confirmed diagnosis and treatment. It is unlikely to be a STD. Hope this helps. Take care!

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Sexually Transmitted Diseases , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.