Medical Questions > Mental Health > Eating Disorders Forum

Purging something to worry about ?

I learned how to purge a long time ago, and I did it maybe once a week. I stopped for a long while and now I am 15 and doing it again. I don't like to but my mom keeps feeding me all this stuff when I really don't want to eat. I don't do it much, maybe twice a week. I can't talk to anybody because they would tell my mom and she'd be angry and feed me more. I hate feeling full though, I like having a hungry feeling. I'm scared because I've been reading stuff about how purging is bad for you, how it'll rot you teeth and hurt your esophagus. Is my twice a week going to do that? Do I have an eating disorder or am I just over reacting?
Thank you.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 6th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Yes, purging twice a week will likely kill you within a few decades if you keep it up through the serious health issues you'll face from purging. That's assuming you maintain control of your ability to choose to purge. If you loose the ability to retain food in the stomach you will degenerate very quickly.

Yes this is an eating disorder. This is Bulimia. It can also do the same things to your intestinal tract that it does to your teeth and worse still it creates imbalances in your body that cause a domino effect of health problems over time. Worse for you, since you're in puberty and relying on balanced health to grow into a functional adult. The longer you engage in purging during these years of your life the more and more severe health complications you will have to endure through your life.

You need help. Stopping is not enough. You need medical evaluation to see if serious damage has been done and you need psychological evaluation to help you from falling back into this behavior. You need to tell your parents that you have an eating disorder and you need to get professional help.
|

replied October 9th, 2009
Yes.. eventually it will remove the enamel from you teeth.. make them yellow, sensitive and painful.. esophegul problems.. stomach problems.. you can even burst eye vessels from the pressure not to mention the strain on your heart. From experience I thought that two times a week was no biggy.. but.. soon you will need it more and more and more and perhaps end up like me purging up to 100 times a day. please stop before you really dig yourself into a deeper hole that will only be harder to get out of. it isn't worth it. if you could.. speak to your mum about changing what you eat or something.. just don't do this to yourself because it will get worse.
|

replied November 2nd, 2009
How can I be bulimic if I am not underweight and don't binge eat( or whatever its called). I have lost a number of pounds, but I'm still in the healthy range...........how can that mean an eating disorder?
|

replied November 2nd, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
hideaway
Because the disorder has nothing to do with your weight. It has to do with your self-esteem and the method you choose to deal with your weight. While you seem to think you're stable now the pattern of this disorder is that enough isn't enough. That the purging doesn't stop even when you realize that you're killing yourself for a few vanity pounds.
|

replied November 8th, 2009
hideaway wrote:
How can I be bulimic if I am not underweight and don't binge eat( or whatever its called). I have lost a number of pounds, but I'm still in the healthy range...........how can that mean an eating disorder?

Hey there,
It is an eating disorder, sweetie. I'm sending you lots and lots of hugs right now. No one your age should have to go through this. I go through it every day myself and it is not pleasant.
Your eating disorder would probably be considered EdNos, I am EdNos too. EdNos basically means you do not meet full blown criteria for any specific eating disorder, i.e. you purging food but not specifically binging.
Purging after every meal could possibly lead to bulimia though. I understand not wanting to talk to your parrents about it. I completely understand why. But I will gently encourage you to do so before you end up suffering with something no one should ever have to suffer with. My eating disorder has stolen years of my life away and is stealing some of my close friends from me, and I don't want you to ever have to go through that.
If you ever want to talk, feel free to send me a private message, ok?
Sending you a big hug, hun.
|

replied November 12th, 2009
Can a doctor tell you are purging if you are not underweight?
|

replied November 30th, 2009
Yes, if you have been doing it long enough to acquire the physical signs, ie. abrasions on the back of the hand you use to purge, the enamel on your teeth, you electrolytes, your throat. Please stop and get help. I have been making myself throw up on and off for 10 years, and it gets harder to stop the longer you have it. Now every time I eat, even when I have been healthy and trying to not purge, food will come up automatically, and this happens EVERY time I eat. I don't know how to stop. Please get help...you don't have to be underweight to be unhealthy...I thought this too. I thought because I didn't "look" like I had an eating disorder, I didn't need help.
|

replied November 30th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
hideaway wrote:
Can a doctor tell you are purging if you are not underweight?

Not necesarilly, especially if you've not begun having major health complications. The damage you have done to your body at this point could be misdiagnosed as another issue or worse yet could be masking other health complications you're not aware of. Definately give your doctor detailed information about how often you are purging any any discomfort or illness you feel may be associated with the act.
|

replied December 4th, 2009
I was going to try and get help, but I can't now! I read up on the things parents do to their kids who purge, taking doors off bathrooms, giving them no privacy, ect. I don't want that! My parents will be so angry with me, they'll probably hate for weeks. I'll have to take care of this by myself.
|

replied December 5th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Seriously hideaway
Look into an open grave. Try to figure out if that's a better prospect than the possibility of a bathroom without a door on it. This is a fatal disorder. Best case scenario you're going to be crippled horribly by it. Tell your parents tonight and get help.
|

replied January 3rd, 2010
Purging Disorder
I also have Purging Disorder. Started about 11 years ago and have done it off and on since then. This year it has gotten much worse and I am throwing up several times a day, when before I was only purging once-or-so a month. I have already lost 5 teeth and I'm only 27. They're all in the back so nobody notices...YET.

There's always a background yearning to be thin but it's more than that. I am compulsed to purge. I feel nauseous after eating anything, my stomach hurts and I just HAVE to get it out of me!

I have a 10 month old son...my first baby. I don't want him growing up with a mother who throws up all the time. Unfortunately there is no existing treatment for Purging Disorder as it is a newly discovered disease, although been around forever.

If someone were to ask me why I do it, I couldn't easily answer. I don't have a terrible life, I have a great husband, great job, friends, a beautiful and healthy baby. I have anxiety and I just feel like purging food is purging my anxiety and stress.

I don't want to lose any more teeth. Now I have to spend thousands of dollars this summer to get dental implants to replace the teeth I've lost to this disorder. If you can find help, take it.
|
Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....