Medical Questions > Mental Health > PTSD Forum

PTSD Advice from assault

What is the best advice that you have for PTSD sufferers who have been assaulted? I was physically assaulted two years ago, as described in my earlier post, and am still having flashbacks about the experience. I also become angry when the topic is mentioned. I do not think that the pain is ever going to truly go away. I feel as if I have been raped.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 4th, 2013
I am a retired police officer and I can tell you I have dealt with victims of domestic abuse, assaults and rapes. Some victims become permanently traumatized. You compare an assault to rape as if you may think that you shouldn't have these problems. A physical assault is a big deal and for some it's very hard to get over it. I would recommend that you see someone because you have the characteristics for ptsd. Also a lot of places have support groups for victims assaults, you may want to check if their are any in your area. I don't know if you reported the assault to the police, if it's someone you lived with now or one time, dated or have a child with it's considered domestic violence related. The local police should have information as well for support groups for assault victims. The anger does happen and it's a response some people have. It can and will get better with the proper help/treatment.
|

replied August 20th, 2013
Thanks. I was seeing a therapist, but I was mocked and humiliated for seeking help through therapy. Therefore, I do not go anymore. I have found that Periactin helps, as it is an appetite stimulant and my flashbacks are hunger-induced. I was hit very hard in the mouth and was rendered unconscious. When I came to, I was bleeding heavily in my mouth and my cheeks were swollen. I could not eat for more than two weeks, and lost a lot of weight as a result. I am naturally slender, so losing weight is especially debilitating to me. Therefore, nightmares and flashbacks of the incident are related to how much I have recently eaten. Do you know of any other prescription medicines that can help with PTSD, since I cannot go to therapy anymore? Again, thanks for your very helpful reply.
|

replied August 21st, 2013
I wish I could tell you but I don't know about medications. A psychiatrist would know best, you could also try google ptsd medications. You could ask your md but I don't know that they would know what works as their are so many. I'm sorry but your therapist is horrible, you don't mock someone that has been assaulted. I would like to think if you could find someone else you should have better results as it's clear it is a serious matter. Wish you the best of luck.
|

I would like to clarify. My therapist did not mock me. Other people mocked me for seeing her, and I decided not to go anymore due to being ashamed, humiliated, and embarrassed. She was actually very sweet to me and incredibly understanding. I also went on Lutera as a result of the experience, and reminders of the experience are pervasive. If I sound like I feel like I should not have these feelings, it is because people other than my therapist have told me that I should have those feelings, that what I went through was not a big deal. Thanks for your reply.
|

If seeing a therapist helps you I would continue to see him/her. Their is nothing embarrassing about it. People can tell you whatever they want but they are not you and honestly probably have their own problems and shouldn't be judging you. Everyone handles things differently and it doesn't do you any good to ignore problems. Do what makes you feel better and try not to worry about what others think or say. I can tell you majority of people have their own issues and they shouldn't be judging you.
|

replied August 31st, 2013
helo mike how are you doing with your leg. i hope you have finally recovered.
|
Tags: ptsd, angry
Quick Reply
Must Read
Stress is a natural response to life. But when does stress begin to cause health problems? Basics on stress and the stress response here....
What are the most common signs of stress? To learn which symptoms of acute, episodic and chronic stress can develop into more serious problems, start here....
Stress can trigger chronic illness. Learn how doctors test for stress and what to expect during an office visit in this section on how to diagnose stress....