User Profile
How would I determine what kind of mental illness my spouse has? I have been to areas online but it seems the symptoms cross over into different areas. I want to help him and help myself. He will not see a doctor about it and i don't dare mention anything as he becomes violent. He is currently on medication for something physical which has made his mental state worse.
I want to do the right thing for this as i care for him deeply. At this time he wants nothing to do with me and avoids me. I handle things as gently as I can. He has always been and more so now then ever:
violent, controlling, paranoid, sleep disorders, refuses to eat what i make for him and eats junk food, possibly doing cocaine again (in the past he was an addict), verbally abusive to family members, constant negative thoughts and statements, hate for anyone different than him, jealousy if we want to not spend time with him, angry if anyone disagrees with him, unable to get over simple barriers (the anger from anythin

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 27th, 2008
Bipolar Disorder Answer A4761
Given your husband's symptoms ( violent, controlling, paranoid, sleep disorders, refuses to eat, verbally abusive, drug abuse...) he might be suffering from a kind of psychotic paranoid or schizoid disorder. Cocaine abuse can make him like this or at least to contribute to his mental condition. It will be very difficult to force him to ask for medical attention. He probably thinks that you are ill not him.

In case of extreme violence you could ask for police protection. The police could bring him to a psychiatrist.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Bipolar Disorder , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.