Medical Questions > Mental Health > ADD and ADHD Forum

Psychiatry helped me substantially.

Hello all. First a short bio of dcamp. (me). First off I'll say that my ADHD/bipolar was untreated for the longest time. I'm a well respected sales team leader(I'd like to think) for my company known as Csoki. I like many other adhders have self medicated with any and everything I could find as stimulates, depressants, uppers and downers of all sorts. But mainly over the past 10 yrs or so of my life. Alcohol and tetrahydracannibinol. Or thc. ( marijuana ). I live in a raural town outside of Huntsville, Al. Self medication though is dangerous and childish was my only way to fix that "craving" empty feeling we all get when were bored. But now thanks to a psych practice located in Madison, Al called APS. Alabama psychiatric south. I'll gladly say that all my symptoms are now much less to none of what I have been use to in my past. I call my life now my rainman era. Mainly because of my comprehension of any subjects has greatly increased. I feel like everything in my mind is now clear. I have proven to many who have known me a while, that I am much more intellegent in every aspect of my life. Even things such as reflex/reaction times have increased. So with that being said can my "limitless" new powers be proven to be nothing but a manic state or am I actually the rainman that I should have been my whole life? I can't really know what to expect. Am I going to have an extra horrific manic low. Or as long as I keep my chemistry straight am I going to be able to kick back and, utilize my mind for it's original purpose?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 18th, 2012
Experienced User
BE CAREFUL WITH VYVANSE:
I am on a blog with other mothers whose children have been on Vyvanse. I have even called my son's doctor about VYVANSE. Please get off that darn drug as soon as you can. You have no idea the damage it will do to your brain. One mother said her son has been on Vyvanse a number of years and he is totally schizophrenic and nothing, and I mean nothing helps to stop the voices he hears continually. I was telling my son about it (and my son was on it only on school days for 15 months) and he said that he hears voices too and thinks it is a good thing. I asked him what is so good about hearing voices. He said it makes him stop and think about what he is doing. There is going to be a big court case over this medicine in the future and I would urge all of you to keep track of how long you have been on this Vyvanse because it is not going to be a pretty sight when the litigation starts on this new-fangled drug. Sure like we want to be SCHIZOPHRENIC too. ADD is bad enough as it is. Try an older, more established drug. Never take something that is brand new for God's sake. Unless it has been out for many years, you can never truly know the side effects. Get off that darn Vyvanse before you hear voices as well. Yes I am ADD as well, my father was too, and my elder brother who were given nothing for their ADD and were able to make a way in life. Please throw out your Vyvanse before you start hearing voices too! I love crystalized ginger and it made an A student out of me, so go find something hot, whether you like ginger, hot peppers or curry and that will help your mind out better than any drug can!!~~!
|

User Profile
replied December 26th, 2018
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern. Its good that you found the balance. Please use the pills as prescribed and stay in touch with your psychiatrist.

I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
|
Must Read
Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (AD/HD) is a neurobiological disorder that can interfere in a person's daily life. Learn more about ADHD basics here....
Have doctors found an exact cause of ADHD? Do biological factors or genes have anything to do with it? More on causes and risks of ADHD development here....
What are the symptoms of ADHD and when do they first present? We outline the principal characteristics of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder to help you...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our ADD and ADHD , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.