Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Psychiatrist for atrial fibrillation ?

My atrial fibrillation evolved from paroxysmal to persistent 15 months ago. That time was stressful and tiring for me, and I am deeply convinced that stress (and maybe anxiety) have triggered it.

I am in good hands, having seen several cardiologists and GPs. I am also under the maximum dose of metoprolol and digoxin, and I use temazepam every night to sleep.

Whilst I am physically aware of my fibrillation all the time (for instance, I feel like a car with a rough idle), there are still rare moments when I feel that it has stopped and my heart has reverted back to sinus rhythm. These moments occur when I am extremely well rested and relaxed, usually after a short nap or sleep.

So it would seem that stress, and the lack of it, still have an influence over my atrial fibrillation. My idea was to consult a psychiatrist to try to work out which behaviour should I try to induce in order for the AF to disappear.

However my cardiologist tells me that he had never heard of anyone who managed to control their AF through psychiatric treatment, and that consulting a psychiatrist could only help me to deal with the condition - not cure it.

What is your opinion?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper popof
|
Users who thank popof for this post: LeapingDolphin 

replied August 8th, 2011
I NEED TEMAZEPAN FOR MY SLEEPDISORDER
|

replied August 8th, 2011
I NEED TEMAZEPAN FOR MY SLEEPDISORDER
|
Must Read
What happens during atrial fibrillation? Learn basic facts about the heart and what types of irregular heart rhythm problems doctors commonly diagnose here....
What can trigger a case of atrial fibrillation? And how can you avoid risks of developing problems with the heart? More here....
When are symptoms of atrial fibrillation serious? Know what complications can develop and when to seek medical help for this common heart condition....