Medical Questions > Cancer > Prostate Cancer Forum

PSA, Prostatitis and Prostatodynia

Must Read
Millions of men experience prostate problems every year. But what defines prostate enlargement and how does the prostate grow as it enlarges?...
What puts a man at risk of having an enlarged prostate? And what causes the prostate to grow in the first place? Answer your questions here....
An enlarged prostate rarely occur before a man is 40. Learn the signs and symptoms BEFORE they occur. And know when to seek help for bothersome symptoms....
I have symptoms of prostastitis or Prostatodynia (being tested now) but my PSA also popped up to over 5. I'm 46 years old.

Does prostatitis cause elevated PSA levels?

M
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 19th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Prostatitis is the most common cause of a falsely elevated PSA.
What test you have been performed already?
What kind of symptoms you have?
|

replied March 23rd, 2008
Thanks MandMS,

Seems I have bacteria prostatitis (urine and semen tests). I was on antibiotics in December and that did not get rid of it. I'm now on two other antibiotics.

Had the high PSA for 6 months but the doctor did not think I had prostatitis as I had no other symptoms so he sent me to a urologist. Took 4 months to finally get to see a urologist and by that time I had the standard symptoms. (that was in December.) Had a cystoscopy and am now battling this prostatitis and when we get rid of that, I can then finally take the PSA test again.

Magni
|

User Profile
replied March 27th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Hi, Magni!
You are welcome anytime!

Bacterial prostatitis, is the most common type of prostatitis, generally associated with a bacterial infection. Prostadynia (also known as chronic pelvic pain syndrome) is a condition associated with similar symptoms as chronic nonbacterial prostatitis, but which has no evidence of prostatic inflammation.

Sorry, but, did you have raised PSA levels before cystoscopy?
|

replied March 31st, 2008
I've had 3 cyctoscopy over the years and even some laser work 5 years ago to enlarge the bladder neck, but this last one was done after it was noticed that my PSA level was up. The urologist said it looked inflamed and put me on antibiotics. That helped for a month or so and then it came back. The urologist did not think I had another infection so he put me on Ultra Prostagen (you can google it) which he said was the only "Herbal" medicine that has "proven" results. Well that did not help so I went to the family doc and he wanted me to go on Cipro for a month and a half. The urologist said "no" did the semen test and then put me on two other antibiotics. I have now finished these and feel a better but not right. Have another semen test in a week and a half.

Probably more details than you want ....lol!
|

User Profile
replied April 7th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Acute or chronic bacterial infection of prostate gland is caused by bacteria usually coming from the urinary tract or rectum.
Medical procedures that involve inserting a catheter or other tubing into your urethra or rectum, recent bladder infection, abnormalities in the anatomy of the urinary tract are some of the risk factors to get this condition.
Do you have diabetes?
Was the type of bacteria confirmed?
|

replied August 29th, 2008
hi,
i started at 5.9 and now is 6.8 (maybe having sex the day before).

Magni mentions his PSA reading was 5. I can have a better comparison.
Tomorrow I will see urologist to really get rid of this. It was happening since 2 years ago, when i did my first PSA test.

These is really a scariest stuff in my life... wow..
very tricky.

the urologist is very optimistic it's not cancer. I am only 30.

but my panel doctor is anxious about the result, making me anxious too...

sorry, if i put it too direct. I am from Hong Kong.
|

replied September 11th, 2009
Was it confirmed there is bacteria or an infection of your prostate? What are your symptoms? I battled "prostatitis" for 8 months and in the end it was not my prostate at all. It was the muscles in my pelvic floor that were in knots due to the tremendous amount of stress in my life. I saw 5 urologists in NYC area ("the best") and 4 of them told me it was an infected prostate most likely but never could confirm that. Finally I found a group of dr's and therapists who helped me, not with an infection but with relaxing the muscles, dealing with my stress, and getting through the anxiety the condition caused which only made things worse. It was the battle of my life but I am fully recovered. I could see how this condition or symptoms could lead to suicide in some men. It was awful and I feel for anyone who has this. You're not alone. There is an answer. PM if you need help. In the meantime there is a great book that helped me after I finally hit rock bottom. Its called "A pain in the pelvis". The book is not the only answer but its a starting point. Good luck.
|
Quick Reply