Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

Provoking bowel movements and peristalsis

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
User Profile
my stomach is hard and bloated. it makes growling noises when i drink cold liquids. I often go to toilet 5 times a day straight after eating to pass stool.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied August 17th, 2010
Digestive and Bowel Disorders Answer A15404
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You want to know the cause of the symptoms that you experience.

Liquid food like soups and drinks (especially those with great amounts of sugar) may increase the peristalsis and provoke bowel movements. There is also a medical condition called irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) in which constipation or diarrhea can be predominant. Its diagnosis is based on excluding other medical conditions that are characterized by diarrhea. IBS is characterized by abdominal pain, urgency for a bowel movement, tenesmus, bloating and abdominal distension.

According to the data that you described, you may or may experience a frequent need to defecate due to possible IBS. See a gastroenterologist to exclude possible gastrointestinal infections, celiac disease and fructose malabsorption.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please contact your doctor for further advice and information about diagnosis and treatment options.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.