Medical Questions > Cancer > Bone Cancer Forum

protrusion on the right side of my face

User Profile
I noticed this protrusion on the right side of my face (possibly upper jaw, right in before of the tragus of my ear), and it feels a solid round lump. My jaw works fine, I can eat and talk with minor discomfort, but the lump will not go away and it is solid and hard. My face is not swollen and I've never had any injuries anywhere near my face, so I was wondering if it could possibly be cancer? If I put pressure on the lump it causes extreme pain to the whole right side of my face. What could this be? I called the advice nurse at my doctor's office and they just told me to ice it and that it's nothing to worry about, but I am very worried.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied December 26th, 2011
Bone Cancer Answer A29721

Welcome to ehealthforum and thanks for writing us

The description of the lump (Location and the tenderness on pressing it)indicates it to be a enlarged lymph node, associated with a transient infection in the dentition or in the nasopharyngeal region.It does not seem to be anything serious.
You can take a few Over the counter anti-inflammatory medications like Motrin or Advil for a few days. This will help in resolution of the node.Along with that ice pack application would also help.Kindly continue with that.
If the pain increases,any change in size occurs or there is development of any other symptom then consider visiting a Physician for evaluation so that if needed a course of antibiotics can be prescribed to help clear any infections. In case of doubt,you may be to undergo a biopsy of the lymph nodes for a definitive diagnosis.
Let me also explain you that symptoms like persistent fever, weight loss, night sweats along with multiple enlarged nodes are indicative of cancer.
Take Care!

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Bone Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.