Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

protruding xiphoid process slightly of center

This really doesn't fall under "chest pain" but I wasn't sure where to post it.

I've always had a very prominent xiphoid process. When I lie on my back it stick right up.

My rib cage is also very large giving me a "barrel chest" look. Lately the xiphoid process appears to be somewhat off center which I haven't noticed before. More to my right. There is no discomfort. I had a physical a few months ago and the doctor didn't mention anything and I forgot to ask. I am in my early 70s.

Is this something I need to pursue or can I just stop worrying about it?

Thanks

John
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Gaelic
|

User Profile
replied May 16th, 2013
Especially eHealthy
googlemail2003,

As long as you have no pain at the site, and you have no problems with breathing, it is not something that needs to be treated. It is basically a cosmetic problem.

If you do want something done about it, you will need to see a thoracic surgeon.

Good luck.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....