Medical Questions > Mens Health > Prostate Forum

Prostatitis: semen test with elevated pH

For the past 3 months, I've been suffering from urinary frequency, perineum pain, and numb penis glands. My urologist diagnosed prostatitis and put me on quinolonone antibiotics (Cipro and Levofloxacin) for 6 weeks.

My symptoms improved marginally, but didn't completely go away, and my urologist then decided I'm suffering from CPPS.

At my request, he agreed to complete a 2-jar test and also a semen test. The intention was to culture all 3 samples for bacteria, but due to an enormous penis-up at the hospital the samples were not cultured. All I received were microscopy results that were completed within an hour of the samples being taken.

The good news is none of the samples showed elevated white blood cells, which I understand is a classic sign of infection. However the ph of the semen sample was 9, which is well above the normal level of 7.2-8.0 and apparently does point to an infection. Normally, I would ask for more tests, and for them to be cultured, but following the prostate massage, the urologist started me on antibiotics, so I'll have to wait at least 14 days for them to clear from my body.

Since, the only result that was within normal parameters was the semen pH sample, does anyone know whether a pre-ejaculate prostate massage would lead to an elevated pH sample? I'm hoping this is the explanation, as I work off-shore, and i probably won't be able to get a new semen test done for 2 months.

Under normal circumstances, I would speak to the urologist again, but after the mess-up with the cultures my faith in the hospital is somewhat diminished. Also, I live in a developing country in Asia and the medical standards here leave a lot to be desired. Any assistance / advice any members or doctors could give would be greatly appreciated.
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied April 24th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
This is usually due to functional urinary tract syndrome. You would need anxiolytic and cranberry juice.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Millions of men experience prostate problems every year. But what defines prostate enlargement and how does the prostate grow as it enlarges?...
What puts a man at risk of having an enlarged prostate? And what causes the prostate to grow in the first place? Answer your questions here....
An enlarged prostate rarely occur before a man is 40. Learn the signs and symptoms BEFORE they occur. And know when to seek help for bothersome symptoms....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Prostate , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.