I have a friend who has prostrate cancer. The docs say that on a scale of 1-6, he is less than one ( 1 being the best case) They want him to make a decision on surgery, or radiation. I told her to go radiation. What are the side affects of both and what way would be the best? They have to have a decision made by Friday. Thanks all.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 14th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Clinical results indicate similar outcomes for both treatments.
They are considered as equally effective, with slightly better 10 years survival rates for surgery.
Is good to know that surgery poses serious complications as impotence and urinary incontinence (unable to control the need for urination).
Prostate radiation can cause impotence in some patients, too.
Rectal and bladder problems can also appear.

How old is your friend?
|

replied October 15th, 2008
Experienced User
he is in his late 6o's. They told him that he would more than likely have to wear a bag if he got the surgery and because of his kidney problems, and strokes, he is at a greater risk for surgery. His wife is very distraught and doesn't know what to do. I told her I'd ask opinions on here for her and let her know. I feel real bad. They act like grandparents towards my girls. They are very sweet. Oh, also, he shows signs of altztimers(? spelling)
|

User Profile
replied October 28th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Prostate cancer treatment should be highly individualized.
Usually, a team of physicians help patient with choosing the right treatment.
New modern radiation technique that gives more radiation dose directly to the prostate than to surrounding healthy tissues, will be good option for your friend.

Best wishes!
Marija
|

replied October 28th, 2008
Experienced User
thank you. I forgot to say, he is a veteran, so his choices are limited
|

replied March 15th, 2009
Case study on Estrogen and Cancer growth
Cancer researchers have long suspected that both estrogen and testosterone (the “male hormone”) play roles in prostate cancer risk.

|
Must Read
Millions of Americans are diagnosed with cancer. But what exactly is cancer and how does it affect the body?...
What puts you at risk for developing cancer? Learn how you can avoid or reduce exposure to risk factors for cancer here....
Cancer can occur anywhere in the body. But what are the signs and symptoms of cancer? Learn about general symptoms of cancer here....