Medical Questions > Cancer > Prostate Cancer Forum

Prostate Cancer Question

User Profile
I am primary hypogonadal and am 23 years old. I have been on testosterone replacement therapy since I was around 18 years old. My question is if I am at risk for developing prostate cancer because of the prostate specific antigen issue with testosterone therapy? Are there things my doctors should be monitoring to assess to make sure I don't develop prostate cancer? I am willing to do whatever I can to help reduce that risk. I don't really like being on synthetic testosterone, but my natural testosterone even after several months off testosterone is too low and my endocrinologist heavily advises against the discontinuation of testosterone replacement therapy for me.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied December 8th, 2018
Prostate Cancer Answer A64643
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern. There have been many trials for such associations and none favoured any association of hormone replacement with prostate cancer. If you are primary hypogonadal then hormonal replacement is mandatory. Let your Endocrinologist decide what is best for you.

I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Millions of men experience prostate problems every year. But what defines prostate enlargement and how does the prostate grow as it enlarges?...
What puts a man at risk of having an enlarged prostate? And what causes the prostate to grow in the first place? Answer your questions here....
An enlarged prostate rarely occur before a man is 40. Learn the signs and symptoms BEFORE they occur. And know when to seek help for bothersome symptoms....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Prostate Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.