Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Heart Disease and Heart Attack Forum

Prominent aortic knob

Must Read
What happens during a heart attack? Get heart attack facts here....
What causes a heart attack? Are women more likely than men to have a heart attack? We review the risk factors and causes of heart attack here....
Can you identify early signs and symptoms of a heart attack? Are women heart attack symptoms different than men? Click here to learn when to seek help....
User Profile
My radiology report shows "prominent aortic knob". Is that something I should worry about?

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile

User Profile
replied June 1st, 2010
Heart Disease and Heart Attack Answer A12756
Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out.

A prominent aortic knob can occur due to a slight rotation of the patient while taking the x-ray film and if there was no rotation, then there a few possibilities which need to be looked into.

The aortic knob is a radiographic structure that is formed by a part of the aortic arch and a portion of the descending aorta.

In normal people the aortic knob measures less than 35mm when measured from the lateral border of the trachea to the lateral border of the aortic knob.

If the knob is greater than 35 mm, then it could be due to increased pressure, flow, or changes in the elasticity of the wall e.g. cystic medial necrosis (damage to the wall of the aorta) ,dissection of the aorta (in this also there’s a tear in the wall of the aorta – this is a very serious disease and if not urgently attended to can be catastrophic.

However, the possibility seems less likely in your case).

To confirm these possibilities, either a CT scan or an MRI needs to be done.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided.

For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Heart Disease and Heart Attack , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.