I am a 26 year old female and began having symptoms almost 3 years ago. I have changed from a 5/5 muscle strength on my left side to a 3/5 on my good days. My weakness started off as activity related beginning with flaccid ankle eversion after intense sports. Slowly, the weakness is occurring in all ankle directions, knee extension, and all hip motions. I now have to wear an AFO for ambulation and some days I cannot even move my left leg at all and have to use crutches. My symptoms are still aggravated by activity, but my activity has been downgraded from an hour of vigorous activity a day to basic ADLs because I do not have the strength to do anything else. I have been to multiple doctors including 2 neurologists. I have had MRIs of the brain, and entire spine, NCV/EMG, blood work, and doppler studies all negative.

My last doctor felt strongly that I needed to be seen at Mayo Clinic to diagnose this mystery and today I got a letter saying they denied my request for an appointment.

Please help me with advice or insight.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 27th, 2008
Community Volunteer
Seek another opinion from another neurologist....even if an MRI and blood work and all that comes back negative....you can get a clinical dx just on your symptoms alone. Whatever that dx would be.

Are you taking anything to treat your symptoms.

Mayo Clinic denied...if I was you I would request that they reconsider your request and give stronger reason as to why you & your dr feel that you should be seen as they are suppose to be one of the best out there for treating people...don't give up based on one denial, keep fighting...it's your health.

~Zig
|

replied September 27th, 2008
Thanks for your reply, I will fight it, but 1- I'm so exhausted from 3 years of searching while just getting worse and worse and 2 - Mayo clinic is so resistant to requests - I can't speak with a clinical person to discuss my case.

I have a working diagnosis of monoplegia - ok great weakness in one limb, but it does nothing for helping the problem.
|

replied August 14th, 2013
Nerve damage, unilateral weakness?!
May I ask, how are you now?! I have a similar story and went through 3 years of vigorous studies.. felt like a lab rat, I quit the search because of how exhausting it became and constantly being told there was nothing wrong or the symptoms were psychosomatic. 2 years later I'm in worse shape than ever (being that I'm a marathon runner, parkour enthusiast, this is not good!) getting ready to jump in to research again! Did you ever get any answers?!
|
Must Read
Multiple sclerosis (MS) affects the brain and the spinal cord. But what is MS? And what types of MS do doctors diagnose? Basic facts on multiple sclerosis here....
Doctors know little about what causes multiple sclerosis (MS), but do understand the anatomy of the condition. Read one to learn about what happens during MS....
Symptoms of multiple sclerosis can be present during other medical conditions. Learn to identify early symptoms of multiple sclerosis, plus when to seek help....