Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

Prognosis for 5 Year Depression

I finally realized depression has held me from achieving my academic dreams, however, its been 5 years since the traumatic event that turned my life 180 degrees. However, I did not quit in everything that was an interest of mine. For example, I continued to exercise and tried really really hard in school. I still interact with friends and tried to maintain a social life, though very difficult. I couldn't explain why I felt so empty in happy situations. It was as if I was emotionally numb.

I would like to know when people finally seek help, and their length of treatment. I know untreated depression gets worse, but what does that mean? Am I hopeless? I'm very worried right now and I do not know what the future holds because I've waited so long to become diagnosed...Please share your stories.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 18th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
You are definitely not hopeless. You can still have a wonderful future full of moments that make you laugh and smile.

The length of treatment really depends on the case. Sometimes it's for weeks, sometimes it's for a lifetime. You have to find what helps you, whether it be therapy, medication, or a combination of both.

It is wonderful you continued to hold onto your friends and do so well in school. It's more than most people can say, and I am proud of you for holding onto that.

I'm not sure what traumatic event you experienced, but if you ever need to talk to anyone we are all here for you and will not judge you at all.

Take care of yourself; it is great that you are seeking out the help you deserve.
|

replied June 18th, 2008
Thank you for your reply. It is wonderful to know that I still have a fighting chance at redeeming my life back. Hopefully it's not too late. I begin to see a psychiatrist in late July...wish me luck!!
|

replied February 3rd, 2013
You can do it
I suffered from depression for five years. I saw a psychologist once and that didnt help much. I became a binge drinker and an alcoholic. I lost everything I cared about one by one. I have constantly had suicidal thoughts throughout my depression and every time I saw a car it litterally took all my willpower not to jump in front of it. I began to suffer from beriberi for the second time and literally I could feel like death was closing in. I never gave up fighting it but it was like a fight I felt couldnt win. I reached out to an old friend I once cared deeply about and she gave me some advice. Basically she told me to forgive myself and the world dont have expectations and that if you try and live a good life you will find happiness. At first I didnt believe her but then after 5 or so 40 ozs determined to drink myself to death a friend walked up to me and one of my homies and told us that we were there for him when he had nobody, we took him in helped him find a job and get his life together when he was about to be put out on the street. Finally I looked back at my life and all the good and bad things I have done and realized that I really wasnt that bad of a person and the depression lifted. Overnight along with my inferiority complex, my constant urge to drink stopped. You dont need a psychologist or a doctor, you dont need to wollow in selfloathing you need to realize no man is an island and no man is the sea. Keep fighting it and you will either die or rise stronger than ever. You survived depression for five years and thats a hard thing to do, you are not a loser you are a winner, you are not weak you are strong. Dig within yourself and find why you are depressed and face it. Your not weak at all, try and help those around you that suffer the most and face your fears no matter how much they scare you and remember its always darkest right before dawn. When the depression was lifting I sat there and thought If I die today I die happy, if I die tommorrow then I die twice as happy, if I die 20 years from now then I die 20 X 365 times happier. Whenever things go wrong they could always go worse but if you survived this then you can survive anything. If you survive this the sun will shine brighter than ever before, keep fighting and remember not only if you keep fighting you can win, YOU WILL WIN! Depression is like a gift to make you stronger, remember when you were depressed, remember your suffering and help others beat theirs.
|
Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....