Medical Questions > Parenting > Kids Health and Pediatrics Forum

proceed with scheduled surgery? lump has gone smaller

User Profile
In July last year, I found on my 2year old son, a small slightly moveable lump about 2cm long just below the skin across his inner left forearm. Over the next few months, it grew bigger very slowly to 3cm long and moved down the arm. In January this year, it became very big about 5cm long and bulged up. A few days ago, it's suddenly become very small and back to 2cm long. My son has only said it was painful once when it grew bigger and never since. No other signs of pain or discomfort. What does it mean if the lump has gone smaller, and should we still proceed with scheduled surgery?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 30th, 2015
General Q and A Answer A51662
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

The lump seems to be an enlarged epitrochlear node. You should definitely go for an excisional biopsy as its a minimally invasive procedure and would rule out any serious cause such as a malignancy. Lymphadenopathy can be due to a viral infection or a localized infection draining into the node.

wishing you best of health

thanks

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: Skin Health
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kids Health and Pediatrics , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.