Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Relationships Forum

Problem with my Girlfriend who has bipolar

Alright, Im new here and Im really confused.. idk where to start.
So me and my gf are togheter for over 2 years now, we are the perfect couple, believe me when I say that. It was a like a dream, she always took my pain away, she basically did everything for me and I did the same for her. So about 2 weeks ago it started.. she said she is not herself and wants a break.. I was confused ofc and asked her about it and I could tell it wasnt her talking, she was so rude and she kept snapping at me after every word I said. I can 100% tell she has a manic episode but I never saw her like this, Idk what to do or how to deal with it.. I wanna help her or at least support her but its hard when I send her loving messages with more than 200 words and all that comes back is some rude comment. And if I ask her why she is like that she snaps and tells me that she is not herself and needs space. So I thought I give her the space she needs and stopped messaging her. But then she messages me first and tries talking to me?!? I dont get what she wants, Im really clueless right now.. I mean I know its not her but it still hurts, you know?

So what the hell should I do? I made her take her meds but she is also stressed from school and she doesnt sleep enough :/ I just want to help her.

And a few questions:
Since she is not "her" will she regret the things she said when she is better?
How long could this last?
How to talk to her so she doesnt snap on me?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 10th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
Yes,she will regret after she gets better with proper treatment for mania. It lasts from 2 weeks to 8 weeks.
When she regains insight then talk to her.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Bipolar Relationships , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.