Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Herpes and Genital Warts Forum

probability that I gave him HSV2 from one encounter?

User Profile
I am an HSV 2 positive female who does not experience more than one outbreak per year. Diagnosis was in October of 2006. I had a one night stand a year ago with a male. We used a condom for the majority of intercourse. We never spoke again. I just found out that his wife is 6 months pregnant, and I called him to ask him if he has ever been tested for HSV 2, he said no and that he will not because he has no symptoms. I tried explaining that he should b/c neonatal herpes can be devastating for an infant. He mentioned that his wife tested negative for STD screens at her OB, however not all OB's screen for HSV2. What is the probability that I gave him HSV2 from one encounter?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 26th, 2015
Sexually Transmitted Diseases Answer A52731
Welcome to e health forum.

HSV-2 infection is more common in women (approximately one out of four women) than in men (almost one out of five). This may be because male to female transmission is more efficient than female to male transmission.

Transmission of HSV-2 to an uninfected partner depends on many different factors, and it is difficult to give precise figures. The risk of transmission of HSV-2 from female to male - is about 4 %. But Transmission from a male to female is 10%.

So based on these figures, it is possible that though you had the infection, your ex-partner did not get infected, possibly due to the use of condoms.

I hope this answers your question.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
20% of the population has or carries herpes simplex virus. But do you know what herpes is? Learn about causes and risk factors for herpes. ...
Do you know the less common signs and symptoms of herpes? Get the facts of herpes symptoms and outbreaks here....
Herpes diagnosis requires proper testing. Learn about the two simple tests that doctors use to confirm a herpes diagnosis....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Herpes and Genital Warts , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.