Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

Pristiq or another alternative?

User Profile
I was diagnosed with depression when my first child was 11 months old in August of 2008 and started taking Sertraline 50. This improved my state of mind and besides the initial nausea, decreased sex drive and heart palpitations, I felt great. I stopped for a whole month in November 2009 and then we started trying for a second child in December. We fell start away so whilst pregnant and after my second child was born in August 2010 I was medication free but then I think with the stress of two children, I decided to go back on Sertraline 50 in early 2011. It was sometime after that I started experiencing SEVERE cravings for sugar and junk food which caused me to put on 5 kilos! I went to my doctor in November of 2013 and he recommended I start taking Cymbalta 30. I started experiencing symptoms such as severe fatigue, fogginess in the brain, sweating on my face, low pain threshold, again low sex drive and unusual dreams however although I didn't experience food cravings and lost the weight I had gained, I felt I wasn't coping as well as when I was on the Sertraline. I put up with it until May of this year and my doctor then suggested I stay on Cymbalta but alternate with the 60mg, so one day I take the 30mg then the next I take the 60mg. I have resigned to the fact that whilst on anti depressant medication, I will never get back my sex drive however I started again with the food cravings, having now put on another 5 kilos and also have really bad night sweats. I am thinking about going on Pristiq as another alternative but not sure to go on a 30mg or 50mg? The 30mg seems to not help with my ability to cope but doesn't make me put on weight however the 50mg helps me cope better but makes me put on weight. ARGGH! I would also like to go off the medication all together and try a more natural alternative such as St John's Wart however I've been told I cant be on the pill while taking that. I love and adore my children but both my husband and I don't want any more. I would love my husband to have a vasectomy so I can try the St Johns however he isn't keen so the pill is my only alternative. Do you recommend I try Pristiq but what dosage do you suggest? Or any other advice would be appreciated. Many thanks, Lara

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied June 9th, 2014
Depression Answer A47746
Thank you for asking!
The length of the question is clear indication of you needing a psychiatric evaluation and support. Don't change and medicines like candies.It had drastic effects. I can understand post pasrtum psychosis but pregnancy is not the only factor for that deep depression and anxiety issues. Every drug is a poison if tried the way you try them.Do as directed by your psychiatrist and discuss the pros and cons of each medicine with them.Better to find natural ways and therapy sessions and group discussions and rehabilitative and recreational programs to help you out of this mess.Stay in touch with your doctor and avoid self management.
Meanwhile visit our Anxiety and depression health centre for further guidance. ty ssion
Take care

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Depression , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.