Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

prickly itch, with general icthing all over?

User Profile
i have this prickly itch, with general icthing all over. it started in my pelvic area particularly my scrotum and then my abdomen and it moved to the rest of my body. when i urinate i itch in my anus and the itching is at night.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied September 4th, 2011
Skin Answer A26516

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out. There can be many causes of this itchy skin. Skin conditions like dermatitis, scabies and hives, internal diseases like liver and kidney disorders,diabetes, iron deficiency anemia and irritation and allergic reactions to chemicals, wool, soaps, cosmetics are some of the commonest causes of itchy skin. Since you are having itchy anus at night, so pin worms should be ruled out.

Apply calamine lotion and take some antihistaminics like Benadryl. If the symptoms persist then topical steroids may be needed. For this please consult a dermatologist. You should take a comfortably cool bath and wear smooth-textured cotton clothing.

Covering the affected area with bandages and dressings can help protect the skin and prevent scratching.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: abdomen, skin
Quick Reply
Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Skin , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.