Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

Pretty standard depression

Hi. I'm an 18 year old guy, I live at home with my parents and sister. For a long while I've felt that my life is just going absolutely nowhere and that I can't do or achieve anything worthwhile (yeah I find it impossible to feel successful / fulfilled just by being happy). I have moderate social anxiety which I've overcome to some degree but I still don't have any close friends. I'm smart but I lack any kind of motivation or direction to use to get me through my university courses (at the moment I'm just floating aimlessly between courses trying to find something I enjoy). Got a part time job which is dull but otherwise okay. The only thing I can motivate myself to do any more is play computer games, which I don't even enjoy (probably a vague addiction but I really don't think it's an issue). I play tennis, piano and chess but all these things just end up making me feel annoyed and frustrated because I always end up failing at them.

Basically I just want some suggestions Smile Where can I go, what can I do?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 9th, 2012
You mention that you go to university. Most universities have a health services department where you can access mental health services. Pay them a visit and see if they can hook you up with some counselling.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....