Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Headache and Migraines Forum

Pressure inside the head , GAD anxiety disorder

User Profile
hi iv been feeling pressure inside my head for the past week, its a constant pressure and can vary where it is in my head but mostly at the bottom of the back of my head. i feel like im really not myself and something is different, kind of like a feeling of derealization. after looking up similar problems on the net alot points to GAD anxiety disorder,which makes sense because iv have had a couple of panic attacks in the past. please could someone advise me what i should do, im very scared that i dont know whats going on in my head, if its mental am i going mad or if its physical. any advice would be very helpful
thank you

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied August 11th, 2010
Headache and Migraines Answer A15174
Hi! Many thanks for your question on eHealth forum!

A constant pressure at the back of the head can be due to compression of the spinal nerves in the cervical spine region. This can happen due to overuse of computers, work involving straining of neck, herniated disc, canal stenosis, bone disease, spondylosis, poor posture etc. A MRI of the cervical spine and nerve conduction studies may be required. Please consult a neurologist.

The treatment is to remove the compression. You have to discuss the best treatment option with a neurologist, which can range from medication to physiotherapy to traction, cervical collars or even surgery.

Often this pain interferes with proper sleep and hence you may be feeling a bit out of place. If all this is ruled out, then yes a visit to a psychologist may help. Please consult a neurologist to begin with. Hope this helps. Take care!

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Learn the basics about mental disorders, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a mental health condition. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for mental conditions....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Headache and Migraines , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.