Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

Pressure in right side of abdomen

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
User Profile
I feel some kind of pressure around the upper right side of my abdomen. The feeling is as if something is compressing inside or expanding. Am not really sure. But I can definately feel a bulge like presence inside my abdomen. it started about 2 months ago. i usually feel it then occasionally after i have eaten. but since 3 days ago i have been feeling it much frequently even after meal or not. i went to see my doctor and she pressed around my abdomen and said everything seems fine including the liver and said its probably a gastric problem. I just need a second diagnosis. hope you can help out.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied March 21st, 2010
Abdominal Pain Answer A10784
Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am glad to help you out.

If you have pain or discomfort in the right upper abdomen after eating meals, then a possibility of gallstones needs to be ruled out.

I’ll suggest doing an ultrasound of the abdomen as making a diagnosis only on physical examination may not be possible.

Moreover, the ultrasound will help in ruling out any liver or kidney disease. Please get it done for it’ll reassure you.

In case, the ultrasound is a normal study, then it makes sense to do an upper gastro-intestinal endoscopy to look for any peptic ulcers as a cause of your symptoms.

Please do consult a gastro-enterologist for the same. I sincerely hope this information helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Abdominal Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.