Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Cholesterol Forum

prescriptions due to guidelines?

User Profile
Given the current cholesterol guidelines, and the ever present risk for liable, do physicians ever prescribe lipid lowering drugs just to act within their professional guidelines, even if their personal convictions disagree?

I am trying to put myself in the physician\'s shoes. If a patient had a total cholesterol of 235, and I didn\'t prescribe statin, and that patient suffered a cardiac event, could I be held liable, or lose my job, for not acting within the guidelines, even though my personal convictions dictate otherwise?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 7th, 2011
Cholesterol Answer A21653
Hello and thank you for posting your medical question on E health Forum.

Every patient is different and medications needed in each case differ.

Presence of just high Cholesterol is not a factor for medications to be initiated.

Other factors like age, risk of cardiovascular diseases , other comorbid conditions, etc are important when a physician decides to start medications.

In the case described, if a competent doctor with sufficient knowledge and experience did not prescribe the medication, though there were no contraindications for the supposed medication, and such a act results in morbidity or mortality of the patient, then a physician can be held liable.

If there was sufficient contraindication for the medication in a patient, then a physician would definitely prescribe other medications or suggest alternative methods to control the condition.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Do you know the difference between good and bad cholesterol? When does cholesterol pose a threat to your health? More info here....
High levels of bad cholesterol in the blood can increase your risk of heart disease. So how do you know if you're experiencing high cholesterol, or not? ...
Who should request cholesterol testing? And how often? Learn how to check your cholesterol levels and what the optimum cholesterol levels are....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Cholesterol , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.