Medical Questions > Parenting > Preschool Kids Forum

Preschooler son has fits of complete rage

My 3.5 year old son is a very smart, fun, happy child most of the time. He does throw occasional tantrums during the day when things aren't going his way, which I know is normal. Our problem is that for the last couple of months, once or twice a week in the middle of the night, he wakes up upset, and we go in to change him (we're still in the process of potty training) or comfort him and he flies into fits of rage - screaming at us to leave, throwing his toys, rolling around on the bed, hitting and kicking. If you try to hold him he will flail in your arms. This will last for 15-20 minutes. I was thinking they were night terrors but he seems to be awake during these, but completely inconsolable. We live with my sister and her boyfriend, and we don't like to just leave him to cry it out on his own because he wakes the whole household up. If you leave him to calm down he'll just sit in there screaming at the top of his lungs and throwing stuff around. He has a consistent sleep schedule, consistent meal times, his dad is home with him all day, and they do lots of fun stuff (playing blocks, going to the park often so he can play with other kids, etc). There isn't anything new or stressful going on in his life that we can see. I'm not sure what to do - we recorded some of one of his rages and played it for my mom over the phone and she said maybe he has something wrong with him - I just want to know if this is a normal developmental thing or if we should be worried. Is there anything we can do to stop these? Any advise you could give would be helpful.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 22nd, 2012
Extremely eHealthy
Not sure why this post hasn't had any replies - surely you aren't the only parent with this problem?

I don't think it is normal development at all and might be indicative of something deeper - either psychological or physical.

It is possible his behaviour is triggered by recurring nightmares or as a delayed reaction to food or drink before bed.

As rigid routine seems to be in place and a disruption to routine often causes irrational behaviour I suggest some changes to the routine might be beneficial, or at least provide some indications as to the possible cause.
How about you take some time off and have him to yourself for a few days?
How about changing his diet a little?
How about changing his bedtime a little and trying some different sorts of bedtime stories...
How about changing his sleeping arrangements?

Is it rage or is it terror? The minds of children aren't complex like those of adults but are made moreso because they are incapable of expressing themselves in a way adults can understand...

It is impossible for most to accept but the view is held by many "experts" who have an interest in the paranormal that children can see and hear many things adults cannot. My own young daughter used to hold long conversations with a little girl who used to live in our house long ago. Even now she is a well-adjusted and inteliligent 25 year old she still maintains the little girl really did visit her sometimes. This is not an isolated example as there are many similar reports on record...

So-called poltergeist activity is traditionally linked to the child psyche...

I advise you to keep an open mind about the possibility your son might be experiencing some sort of paranormal incident...
As Conan-Doyle made Sherlock Holmes say - eliminate the impossible and whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth...
|
Did you find this post helpful?