Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

pregnant with severe hiv anxiety

My story is quite long.
I have not had many partners and I have never used drugs but for years I have had an extreme fear of hiv. I also suffer from depression and anxiety. Recently I became pregnant. This pregnancy is unplanned. Almost immediately I thought about hiv. My doctor does not do routine blood work until 12 weeks of pregnancy. I felt I could not wait that long so I purchased an oraquick in store test. On the inside of these tests there is a developer solution and testing stick both individually packaged. I can not remember because I was nervous but I fear that the testing stick used to swab my gums may have been tampered with and contaminated with infectious bodily fluids. Since the mouth is a mucous membrane I fear I was exposed from swiping it across my gums. Also since the testing stick was inside packaging on the inside of the box, I fear the the infectious fluids may have been wet still (exposed to little if any oxygen) keeping it active to transmit.

I tested again 3 weeks after this because I have been consumed by anxiety and fear. It was negative. I have read that pregnant women are more likely to get false positives so I'm scared while continuing to test up until the 12 week mark, that I will get a false positive and my anxiety will go even more out of control. But if I don't keep testing I am left to deal with this hiv related anxiety that does not seem to go away! I know that I am putting so much stress on my unborn baby from being so stressed myself. I feel like this is a nightmare I can't get out of and have no one to turn to! I have a therapist but that has not seemed to help at all. I just want to be sure my baby and I are both healthy. I need help.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 13th, 2014
Welcome to e health forum.

Unless you have a HIV infected partner (Status confirmed by tests), there is no need to be worried about HIV infection.

If you are still concerned, you can consult your doctor and get a HIV 4TH Generation ELISA test, which can clear all your doubts and help you to enjoy your pregnancy.

Also please continue to work with your therapist, so that proper control of your anxiety or paranoic behavior can be achieved.

I hope this helps.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.