Medical Questions > Cancer > Leukemia Forum

Pregnancy after leukemia

User Profile
I have 29 years old, i'm a female from Romania. When i was 19 i found out that i have ALL 98% of my marrow was cancer cells. I had 2and a half years of chemotherapy and also radiation to my head. After aprox. 8 months of chemo i went into complete remision. Now, 9 years later i'm steel in remision. I would like to have a baby and i want to know how pregnancy can afect me - my illnes - and if the baby will be in any danger while i'm pregnant and after he's born.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 25th, 2009
Leukemia Answer A7147
As all of the clinical data in this area is retrospective in nature, I can only comment on what has been published tgus far. Most of these studies show no significant increase in the risk of congenital abnormalities in children born to women who have previously been treated with chemotherapy and intracranial radiation therapy for leukemia. Likewise, the rate of leukemia recurrence following pregnancy appears to be relatively low (although there is always a small risk of delayed recurrence of leukemia, with or without pregnancy).

You should , of course, discuss your concerns with both your oncologist and your gynecologist, before deciding to try and have a child. Based upon the available evidence, however, it would appear to be reasonably safe for you to become pregnant if your have been in complete remission for the past 10 years. If you do decide to become pregnant, then you will have to be carefully monitored for any signs of ALL recurrence during and after your pregnancy;.

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

http://doctorwascher.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Click here for basic info on leukemia, including diagnostic types and how doctors classify this disease of blood forming tissues....
Is leukemia inherited? Read here for more info on what causes leukemia and what environment risk factors or triggers you might avoid....
Leukemia can affect many parts of the body, including the organs of the cardiovascular and digestive systems. But what are the major symptoms of leukemia?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Leukemia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.