Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Diabetes Forum

prediabetic,will it put the baby at higher risk of juvenile

User Profile
hello,
my husband is 36 yrs old with 5.10 height & weighs 160 pounds..he is average built..he is prediabetic..his fasting glucose levels were 116,112,108 in the past yrs..his ldl/total cholestrol levels are a little above the normal levels( don't remember xact numbers)but not too high..v want to try for baby & i would like to know

1) if his prediabetic condition could effect his fertility/sperm count/quality ?

2) if we coceive when his levels are still prediabetic,will it put the baby at higher risk of juvenile diabetes?

3) will it cause any other health issues to the baby at the time of birth or during childhood ?

4) should we wait till he get his levels lower than 99( which was lab's normal range) ?

i don't want to put my baby at any risk knowingly..pls help me with this dilema!

thanks in advance,
yami

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 4th, 2012
Diabetes Answer A38347
Hello,

Welcome to ehealthforum and thanks for writing

The blood glucose levels described by you do not seem to be much higher. If his sugar levels are under control, takes well balanced diet and does regular exercise it should not make much difference in the sperm count.

Blood sugar if highly deranged can affect various organs and also semen analysis result but with lifestyle modification and medications it can be well controlled. Though it is a hereditary condition but as his sugar levels are under control there is no harm in plannning a baby. Usually if mother is affected then there are more chances of any complications related to pregnancy and after delivery.

Relax and visit a Gynaecologist for detailed evaluation.Be in follow up with your healthcare provider.

Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What is diabetes and what causes diabetes? Start here for basic facts about type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes. ...
What causes diabetes? Who is at risk of developing diabetes? Find out what can lead to the development of diabetes here....
Do you know the signs of the onset of diabetes? Read here to find out more about diabetes symptoms and when you need to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Diabetes , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.