Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Acid Reflux Forum

PPI necessary for Barrettes Esophogus ?

User Profile
I have Barrettes Esophgus. My doctor preformed the Halo treatment two years ago to remove all BE. I was taking Omenphazole when I heard long term use was bad for your health. I quit taking it and went through 4 months of rebound (bad heartburn). Once I got through those 4 months, I barely have heartburn now. I occasionally take Pepcid chew and that is all I need. Last week my doctor preformed an EGD and the BE is back. I think it cam back during the 4 mounths of rebound. I am very disappointed. He said right now it is an ulcer and he cannot do anything until it heals. He wants me to go back on a PPI. I do not want to do that. It was too hard to get off the PPI. I took the omephazole for 8 years and suffered tremendous IBS. I feel so much better not taking the PPI. If I am not having heartburn is it really necessary for me to take a PPI?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 19th, 2016
Acid Reflux Answer A59788
Hello and welcome
Your concern is appreciated
Yes its necessary to take PPIs as barret eaopahgus is premalignant lesion and it can change into maligancy. The hurt burn is not an indication here because you need to treat barret esophagus and the reason that hurt burn disappeared may be because the esophagus is now barret which is a mechanism to combat chronic irritation caused by acid. If you are not tolerating this PPI that can be changed with other more tolerating PPI , h 2 blockers can also be used , use milk and avoid diet like spicy food cofee and tea carbonated drinks or citrus fruits etc.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: Heartburn, Ulcer, Diet
Quick Reply
Must Read
Almost everyone experience heartburn or acid indigestion at times. But what is acid reflux and how could it cause more serious problems?...
Can you tell the difference between common heartburn symptoms and signs of more serious digestive problems? Learn when and how to take action for acid reflux....
Heartburn is common, but it is not trivial. It's important to diagnose and treat heartburn or acid reflux as early as possible. Review diagnostic procedure now...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Acid Reflux , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.