Medical Questions > Cancer > Skin Cancer Forum

Potential Melanoma..?

I recently noticed a mole that I've had all of my life has changed. I haven't looked at it in about a year, since it's in a hard to see location. Now suddenly it meets all of the ABCDE criteria. It was always a raised mole, and now it is even larger (9ish mm across), the colors used to just be a single dark brown and now have changed to dark purples and reds, and the border which used to be clearly defined has now blurred into the surrounding skin. Everything I read as far as warning signs tells me this is melanoma. Has anyone ever had something like this turn out benign? I have an appointment with my dermatologist right before Christmas, which was the earliest I could get in. Are changing moles always cancer or could this still turn out to be nothing?

XO
-vee
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 5th, 2016
Hello and welcome
Your concern is appreciated
There are risk factors for developing melanoma but it does not mean you must get it some people with many risk factors dont ever get it. Dysplastic nevus or atypical mole sometimes runs in families small percentage of it can covert into melanomas while most of the time it doesnt convert into melanomas and many melanomas occur without pre existing mole etc.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
What is melanoma? This section give you a quick intro to this particular type of skin cancer, including the entire range of types of melanomas....
Doctors are pretty certain that ultraviolet radiation plays a role in the development of melanoma. Which other activities put you at risk of melanoma?...
What does melanoma look like? Learn to identify early signs and symptoms of melanoma with this full description of symptoms of melanoma here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Skin Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.