Medical Questions > Nutrition > Nutrition Forum

Potassium vs Potassium Chloride

User Profile
Woud someone tell me if there is a difference between "Potassium" and "Potassium Chloride?" Or are they one in the same when mentioned in an article? Is one the generic name?

I've read some articles that mention "potassium," and others that mention "potassium chloride."

Some say "most of the potassium chloride you see in your daily life occurs naturally in foods." And "Potassium is an essential nutrient we get from the food we eat. It typically comes in the form of potassium chloride." Are they referring to "potassium or potassium chloride? Or as I asked, are they one in the same?

Others say there is potassium chloride in salt substitutes. Are they talking about the same thing?
Nu-Salt (Salt Substitute) says:

What I am trying to find out is, what is the difference between "Potassium" and "Potassium Chloride" when it is mentioned on the Nu-Salt label.
As I said, the NuSalt label says: Ingredients = "Potassium Chloride." And the Nutrition Facts says = "Potassium 530mg."
Are they both the same?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 10th, 2013
Experienced User
Potassium is a positively charged electrolyte. Different concentrations of electrolytes on either side of a neuron, or nerve cell, make it possible for one nerve to transmit a signal to the second nerve. While potassium chloride and potassium gluconate are chemically different, they both dissociate easily so the potassium ion can be used by the body.

Potassium chloride is a white, odorless powder with a salty taste. Like other salts, it contains an alkali metal and a halide. While chemists can synthesize it in the lab, most of the potassium chloride you see in your daily life occurs naturally in foods or is dissolved in tap water.

Moreover Potassium has a +1 charge, while both chloride has -1 charge.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What is the medical definition of obesity? How is obesity different than being overweight. Basic medical facts on obesity here....
We review the simple cause of obesity here, and help you evaluate whether or not you are at risk of becoming obese. ...
Click here for basic signs of weight gain, and information on when to seek medical help if you think that you are becoming overweight....