Medical Questions > Cancer > Thyroid Cancer Forum

post surgery, i get ear infections all the time?

User Profile
i had thyroid cancer in 2011 and they removed the entire thyroid and 10 lymph nodes now i get ear infections all the time maybe 6 times now and im sitting here with ear pain now it causes pressure headaches to do you know why???

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 26th, 2012
Thyroid Cancer Answer A38192
Welcome to e health forum.

The onset of your ear related infections may be coincidental. Thyroid cancer or Thyroidectomy procedure does not directly result in such issues.

But if you are not on thyroid replacement therapy, you may be developing hypothyroidism. And this condition can be associated with reduced immunity, which may predispose to recurrent infections in some individuals.

You should consult with your doctor and check your thyroid function tests, which may help to assess your condition.

In addition consulting with a ENT doctor, who can examine your ear, and rule out conditions including perforation or chronic suppurative otitis media, which may be the cause of your symptoms.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What is an ear infection, exactly? Learn the medical definition for ear infections and the types of ear infection that doctors diagnose here....
What causes an ear infection? We review the main causes of ear infection, and the risk factors that contribute to its development....
Pain from the ear is the most obvious symptom of an ear infection? But how do children exhibit signs or symptoms of ear infection? More info here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Thyroid Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.