Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Lungs and Respiratory Disorders Forum

Post-pregnancy difficulty breathing with weird symptoms

I wish I knew what is happening to me. I just had my first baby, and I feel like I can't be good mommy because I constantly can't breathe. It started in my third trimester. I felt like I couldn't get a good breath, like I wasn't able to get the oxygen I needed. The episodes increased in frequency and duration during the remainder of my pregnancy. As they progressed, new symptoms appeared. I developed a headache, lightheadedness, nausea, and a pain in the back between the shoulder blades associated with the shortness of breath. I was evaluated for a pulmonary embolism and asthma - I had neither. Early on, a cardiologist did an echocardiogram - some slight leaking, but nothing too alarming. I was hoping that all this would go away once I delivered, but no such luck. Since I delivered, it has worsened. I no longer have 'episodes' - this breathing problem seems here to stay. I wake up each morning with a stiff feeling in my lungs, and the second I try to take that deep breath, I get the pain in the back, the headache, the nausea, etc, and they stick around for the rest of the day. I can't complete a yawn, and I can't breathe deeply, and my lungs and throat feel like they're under a tremendous amount of pressure. This seems to perplex every doctor I talk to. Do these symptoms seem familiar to anyone? Any ideas what this could be? I'm desperate to resolve this health issue so I can be a good mommy!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 24th, 2011
Hi, I ran into your post. I can't say my symptoms are exactly like yours but I do have anxiety attacks where I can't get enough air. If I'm worried/stressed all of a sudden it feels like my lungs are really full but that I need more air. I also can't complete a yawn and start to freak out. The only fix I have is to breathe really shallowly and start thinking about something else to distract myself. I'm really sorry for your problems, you seem to have more symptoms than that but I thought I would add my two cents. Good luck, I hope things have improved.
|

replied October 4th, 2011
Thanks Julie! I don't tend to think its panic attacks because it lasts all day and sometimes for days and weeks. Panic attacks are supposed to go away within an hour. Do yours???
|

replied January 8th, 2012
I am 39 weeks and experiencing alot of the same symptoms you had. Did you ever find relief or what was causing it?
|

User Profile
replied October 4th, 2011
Hi. I have the same problem, but the thing is I'm not pregnant nor have I ever been. And sometimes when I breath its like my stomach doesn't move at all. Its like it tightens in. I don't know what it is.
|

replied January 30th, 2013
Same symptoms
Did you ever find out the cause and are you better now? I have a 5 month old and have the exact same symptoms. It started mid pregnancy and has never gone away. I was checked for pulmonary embolism and also had cardiac tests....all fine. Some days are worse than others. And it lasts all day.
|

replied November 29th, 2013
my breathing problem started after my babies birth. initially it was too worse to handle. i went to different doctors to cure it but none of them found any problem. one of my physician said it is may be because of my urinary infection. now i recovered urinary infection but not the breathing problem yet. It is really important to know why and when you face this problem to handle it. For me, when I can't sleep or take enough rest or do panic I face that problem more frequently. you can try meditation or psychiatrists help to recover it as I am doing meditation and its really working. It's our mind which can control our body. Get well soon sis.. Smile
|

replied March 12th, 2017
Had similar issues. The problem was simple. Magnesium and Vitamin D deficiency. Go to a naturopath and get checked for your vitamins and Minerals. I got better in 4 days after taking the prescribed dosage of these minerals/vitamins. You will get better!
|

replied March 12th, 2017

If you have a good massage therapist that offers cranio sacral massage go try it a few times. It's easy on the body. The therapist should be able to detect where muscles ect are out of place or stuck and help with easy touches to put them back into place. I used that after my first pregnancy and it helped wonders!
|
Must Read
Asthma affects more than 22 million Americans. But what happens during a respiratory asthma attack? Learn the basics about asthma now....
Some people are more likely than other to be diagnosed with asthma. Learn if you are at risk of asthma in this section on risk factors and causes of asthma....
How can you identify the signs and symptoms of asthma or respiratory problems? We list the common asthma symptoms here and discuss asthma problems....