Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Post open ventral hernia surgery

I had my 5th c-section on Dec 1 and on Jan 3 I was in urgent/emergency surgery for an incarcerated hernia. ( I won't even touch on the fact that I went to my OB 4 times in the 4 week period complaining about this bulge and finally went to the ER because I was tired of the pain) The hernia was repaired with 1(maybe 2, I can't remember) sutures. The incision starts about 2-3" below my belly button and ends really close to my horizontal c-section scar(so about 4" in length) The surgeon told me it wasn't big enough to use mesh. I am still having pain. I thought I would be completely pain free by now but I am not and it's discouraging. I went back for my last check up with the surgeon. I told him I feel a bulge again in the same area as before. He felt it, had me cough, had me stand up and cough a few times while he felt it and he just said he was very confident that it wasn't a return of the hernia(he knows I am so worried about a hernia reoccuring and I am having anxiety over it). He stated that if I wanted he could send me for an ultra sound or CT scan but he honestly felt like it would only show swelling and inflammation. He said there was so fluid there but when he tried to remove some of it he didn't get hardly any so he just said the bulge we are feeilng is everything being inflammed and swollen and eventually it will get soft. I seriously feel like I live in fear now of it happening again, I think some of that stems from my OB feeling the bulge 4 different times and telling me it was just my uterus and it would go down. Is it ok/common to still have pain, it's not really just over my incision but my whole lower stomach area has moments of soreness and pain. Also the bulge the surgeon should definitely know if it feels like a hernia right? If he says he is confident it's not a return then I should be able to trust that right? He has been awesome and I don't have any reason to not trust him. He has given me the ok to return to daily activity but to just listen to my body but not be so afraid of the pain. After surgery he told me not to lift anything heavier than my newborn and I have been following that rule to a T and now that he has given me permission to say lift the baby AND his carseat I am so nervous!!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 18th, 2010
It is not possible to offer patients a specific diagnosis over the internet, unfortunately, Perhaps you should have an ultrasound to further assess this area of dicomfort, and to rule-out a recurrent hernia (if the ultrasound is equivocal, then a CT scan may be necessary).

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com

www.oncoguard.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|

replied January 29th, 2012
I had a ventral hernia repair done in May 2011. About 5 weeks had gone by and I felt the onset of a bulge in my abdomen. I had been going to the surgeon every two weeks after surgery because I was told hat I had a difficult surgery plus I was having a lot of pain. My surgeon told me it was highly unlikely that my hernia was coming back, especially 5 weeks after surgery, and I also had a mesh put in. In Aug 2011, I had to go to the ER for abdominal pain. They did a CT scan and found that I still had a ventral hernia and their was no change from my initial diagnosis CT scan. Can someone p,ease explain to me what happened and what did the surgeon operate on? I have not gone back o the original surgeon since the findings and will be seeing another surgeon next week.
|

replied January 30th, 2012
Experienced User
I am going to suggest two things:

1) get a copy of the surgical report and a complete, unabridged copy of your file from the surgeon - he cannot deny your request to get a copy of either.

2) seek a malpractice lawyer for an initial consultation
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.