Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Post-op Inguinal Hernia pain

I had an inguinal hernia repair done 5 years ago in Toronto and had some mild pain off and on but about 4 months ago I was hit with this incapacitating pain running right down the scar and into my leg. I had a fall on the job that tore some muscle at teh groin and the physiotherapy seemed to deal with that part of it okay. But a second severe pain that came with it persists. It's a very alarming sharp pain that runs directly along the inguinal fold where the repair was done. Sometimes it radiates down the inside of my leg and sometimes also around the pubic bone and can radiate over to the other side. But that's just an imflamation type pain - not the severe shooting pain that stops me from working.

I'm a truck driver - I'm shifting all day and the day this happened I could hardly breath from the pain. All I have to do is drive the truck and it comes right back. Sometimes all I have to do is brush my teeth and it comes back. Little things like clearing my throat can bring it on. Sex is near impossible and certainly not enjoyable. Any lifting poses real problems. Sometimes I'll be sitting completely still and wham! it hits without warning. What in the world is this? I went back to work for a 3-week period in January and it came back even worse than before. I've been off work since and there's really been little improvement if any. I've had physio, ultrasound, x-rays, MRI, EMG, and the next stop is physiologist and then another MRI. So far - they've found nothing. Very frustrating.

Anyone know what this is?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 24th, 2010
Based upon your description, you may have damaged one of the sensory nerves that pass through the area of your hernia repair. If so, this can be a rather difficult problem to deal with.

An injection of anesthetic and steroid medication can be performed in the area of your pain. Sometimes these injections can offer long term relief by themselves. If the pain goes away after this injection is performed, but then returns, then sometimes the surgeon can go back inside, find the offending nerves, and destroy them Also, anti-inflammatory medications and alternating hot and cold packs can also help with this type of neuralgic pain.

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com

www.oncoguard.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.