Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

Post Earthquake Abdominal Pain - potiental parasite?

After the Christchurch earthquake in 2010 my nephew began to develop stomach pains and GI issues. Cut to almost 9 years later it’s still occurring. The doctors have put it down to a parasitise in the water during that time as there was sewerage contamination. The doctors are unable to say which specific parasite it is though or help my nephew in anyway. It wasn’t until I visited at Christmas that I saw how much this effected him and his life.
So I’ve got a few questions that I can’t find any answers for
Firstly- is it possible for a parasite to survive that long in the gut
Secondly- is there any extra tests they could be doing to find a definite answer (the New Zealand Heath system is subpar to say the least and no one seems to care now that they’ve put a label on it)
Thirdly - has anyone ever heard of this occurring? I always put it down to a developed anxiety issue (and rightfully so it was a traumatic time for him) but through word of mouth I’ve found out another lady has been told the same thing about a potiental parasite from the same event that no one is able to identify.
Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 20th, 2019
Hello and welcome to EHF !

I went through your query and i think it could be a parasite plus PTSD leading to GI discomfort secondary to stress. Supportive care , deworming and use of IBS treatment and stress management with a good psychotherapist along with diet and lifestyle adjustment is mandatory.

Take care

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Abdominal Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.