Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Appendix and Appendicitis Forum

Post Appendectomy - nausea vomiting & bloating

User Profile
My husband just had an appendectomy on Monday May 18th and felt great afterward, slight pain but nothing to write home about. Then last night (Tuesday May 19th) he had a lot of nausea accompanied by burps of vomit and a slight fever, I called the surgeon and he said, each person is different, as long as he's not dehydrated and vomiting a whole lot he should be fine. It was probably he's reaction to the anesthesia. Then at 6:30 this morning(Wednesday May 20th) he finally vomited and it was black, it looked like coffee grinds or chopped up oreo cookies mixed with water. He had taken 2 Rolaids to settle his stomach earlier that night and eaten a little bit... I just wanted to see if that seemed normal at all. It is now 10 hrs later and he still feels nauseous and also has not had a bowel movement since 2 days before his surgery. It is now 2 days after his surgery. Does this seem normal? Does he just need to use the bathroom? Thank you for your help.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 22nd, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Low temperature is common for 2-3 days following appendectomy.
Due to anesthesia and pain killers given during and after the surgery, constipation is expected.
Persistent nausea and vomiting warrant medical attention.
|

replied August 24th, 2013
Help
I too ave a lot of vomiting,and lots of pain on my left side,AND I'M ON MY eigth day and getting worried,please help ....someone that knows about this condition.
|
Must Read
How do you know if abdominal pain is caused by appendicitis or not? First know where to locate the appendix in your body. Learn more here....
Classic symptoms of appendicitis include pain in the center of the abdomen that moves down and to the right. Learn more about signs and symptoms of appendix pr...
Understand how to diagnose appendicitis and abdominal pain correctly. Appendicitis may be the cause of your discomfort but symptoms vary. Learn more now. ...