User Profile
Hello, First, let me thank you in advance for taking your time to review my question and possibly provide some guidance. Let me start by advising you that I am a personal-injury attorney and I have a client who had his appendix removed after rupture. As directed, my client followed with his family physician,and complained of pain between his shoulder blades into shoulders right/left. Client also returned to work sooner than advised. As time would have it, my client returned from a business trip some 4 years later and the airport transit collided with a tree/vehicle/totaled. My client had cervical fusion w/hardware less than 2 1/2 months from MVC. My clients post appendectomy cervical,upper thoracic pain is now the auto liability ins carriers excuse for non-payment.4 years separated the like-kind pain. Can you direct me to any articles/treatises to support post-appendectomy cervical/upper thoracic issues? Again, thank you in advance for your courtesies. Wade

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 9th, 2010
Appendix and Appendicitis Answer A10527
Hi,

Welcome to the ehealthforum. I am glad to help you out. Any pathology which is in the vicinity of the diaphragm like acute cholecystitis (gall bladder inflammation), any collection of pus under the diaphragm, any liver disease in which the liver is enlarged and irritates the diaphragm can produce radiating pains to the right shoulder as the diaphragm and right shoulder have similar nerve supply.

However, I have not heard of an appendix surgery leading to the radiating pain in the shoulder, cervical or upper thoracic pain. I sincerely hope this information helps.This information is purely based on the medical history provided. For the exact diagnosis & treatment, a physical examination and investigations are a must. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Appendix and Appendicitis , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.