Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Diabetes Forum

possibly having Type 1 Diabetes.

User Profile
Hi, I'm an 18 year old girl who would like to know if I should fear possibly having Type 1 Diabetes. I have been extremely healthy all of my life, getting colds once or twice a year at most and never really getting stomach bug related sicknesses. Just in this year alone, I've had 5 colds that have lasted up to two weeks. (Possibly irrelevant) A major concern I have is that I have worn glasses for 4 years and have never had eye issues until this past fall. I have blurred vision spells where I completely lose my peripheral vision and this lasts about 30 minutes. Since September of 2015, this has occured about 10 times give or take. After these occur, I always get a headache. I went to the doctor and I do not have any neurological or eye issues that they can find. I am not sure if I am abnormally thirsty because I naturally just always have a water with me due to severe dehydration that landed me in he hospital in 2014. Fainting recently occured once. I can not fit more, thank you.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 10th, 2016
Diabetes Answer A57949
Hello and welcome

Your concern is appreciated

The blurred vision spells can be migrain prodrome in some people as you mentioned you get headache after that and eye exam is normal. Eye related issues and disease which needed to be adressed would require complete eye examination including slit lamp examination. If the vision is completely recovered after the episode and no remainig deficit than its likely to be prodrome of migrain, type one diabetes affecting eye would require years to develop retinopathy and that would be evident on eye exam and before that patients have blood sugar level related issues like hypoglycemia and hyperglycemia, polyuria, polydipsia etc. Other disease that can cause blurred vision are temporal arteritis, amorosis fugax, acute angle closure glaucoma, optic neuritis etc.

Hope it helps
Thanks

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
What is diabetes and what causes diabetes? Start here for basic facts about type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes. ...
What causes diabetes? Who is at risk of developing diabetes? Find out what can lead to the development of diabetes here....
Do you know the signs of the onset of diabetes? Read here to find out more about diabetes symptoms and when you need to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Diabetes , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.