Medical Questions > Mental Health > Dyslexia Forum

Possibly have dyslexia

User Profile
I think I might be Dyslexic. What do I do?

My dad is dyslexic, I have trouble spelling, I always jumble the letters together. I have trouble with sentence structure too. One of my english teachers asked if I'd ever been tested for anything. I had a tutor once who told my parents she thought I had short term memory loss. I have trouble with money in math and patterning. It just doesn't process it my mine it's like there's a wall. When reading aloud I don't properly process what I reading and I can't focus on the words. So sometimes I say something completely different then what's on the page. I also can't recognize words when reading and need to hear them a few times to know them. When reading an exert for class work, I always finish later then others. Because it wont process in my mind and I have to keep reading it. I get that when reading books too, I'll have to read a sentence over to make it process. And when speaking sometimes my words get a jumbled. Does this sound like dyslexia?

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion

User Profile
replied September 6th, 2010
Dyslexia Answer A15939
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned by the possibility of dyslexia.
Dyslexia is the most common learning disability in children identified in at least 80% of children manifesting learning disabilities characterized by unexpected difficulty in reading in children and adults who otherwise are normal in intelligence and cognition. Dyslexics probably have deficits within a specific component of language system, the phonologic module, which is engaged in processing the sounds of speech. Dyslexics have labored approach to reading because of phonologic deficits though listening comprehension is robust.
You might be suffering from dyslexia but you must consult your personal physician for definitive diagnosis as the same is not possible online.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Dyslexia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.