Medical Questions > Relationships > GLBT Relationships Forum

Possibly attracted with straight best friend?

User Profile
I have been best friends with this girl for four years. I am bisexual and out, and she is straight as far as she thinks and says. When I first met her I did admit to myself I was attracted to her, but it quickly went away. We had a talk a year ago and apparently she had been confused with her sexuality and had thought she was attracted to me, but realized she was just confused and it wasn't anything real. When that happened, I was fine. But now, I find myself developing a crush on her. I don't know if it is sexual attraction or if I'm overreacting.

I already have a girlfriend, a long distance one, but I don't really feel anything for her. it's more of a relationship that makes me feel safe. I don't really feel attracted to people very often, and am not a physical person. But when I'm hugging or touching my best friend I find myself loving it, and I always want more. When she jokes about things like us being lovers, or plays around as friends usually do I always find myself craving it and wishing it were real. But she's already said several times that she would never ever feel that way for me in the past...

We are the inseparable type and she really heavily depends on me, to the point that now we are in different colleges she texts me everyday saying how much she misses me and often cries about it. I know she only thinks of me as a friend, but when I think about it I can't help but crave the idea of her and me being together. I just don't know what to do...

Is what I'm feeling real? Or do I just /want to be attracted to /someone and am using my best friend as the safest choice? I just don't know what I'm feeling.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile lylan
|

User Profile
replied September 8th, 2011
Experienced User
Yeah,it sounds like you're really into this girl Smile Having a crush on your best friend is nothing to be ashamed about. However, if she's straight, that's tricky. You have to respect her limits and her choices. If she's uncomfortable with the idea of being with a girl, you have to back off, at least in that way. As for your girlfriend, get rid of her. Being in a relationship just because is icky, and VERY HORRIBLY cruel to the person you are dating. Don't lead her on anymore, but make sure you let her down in an easy manner. Explain your situation, and she'll probably understand.
For now, just try to be friends with this girl. Don't act on anything for sure. I understand how hard it is to have a crush on your best friend. I am bisexual myself and I have been in your situation before. But, if she's not comfortable, there is not a whole lot you can do other than continuing to be her best friend. Smile Best friends are precious after all Smile
Hope this helped and good luck Smile
Lylan
|
Did you find this post helpful?