Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Sinusitis Forum

Possible post-nasal drip causing constant bad smell in sinuses.

I'm a 17 year old male, and have no history of any sinus infections or sinus issues in my life.

I had a regular case of allergies from September 1-3, with pressure in my head and sinuses, having to blow my nose a lot along with a bad smell, and dizziness while walking or standing. All of that is long since left, except for the bad smell. It smells like moldy mucus, and it seems to comes from way up in my sinuses, it's nothing I can just blow out or wash out with a neti pot. It is almost constant, and can get worse or better when sitting/laying in certain positions. I went to my doctor about it (which he said he wasn't sure if it was a sinus infection, but to try antibiotics anyways), and he prescribed me 28 100mg Doxycycline tablets to take twice a day for two weeks. I followed the instructions (including not drinking milk, take with meals, drink lots of water, etc) and while the smell wasn't as constant, it was still there during the two weeks, and it's still here even after those two weeks. Since I have no more to take, it has come back much heavier and worse than it was during those two weeks.

I should also note that one of the days when I forgot to take my first pill for the day, I was constantly swallowing what felt like mucus, which I then became nauseous after 6 or so hours and vomited up a clear and thick substance, which I am sure was also mucus. This is a reason why I think it is post-nasal drip, as it felt as if mucus was dripping down my throat from my sinuses. However, most post-nasal drip symptoms don't mention a foul smell, only the mucus dripping down the throat.

I'm rather desperate for this to just go away, as it is distracting my from my school work and generally lowering my quality of life.

If there is anybody who had similar experience and fixed it somehow, I'd like to know! Thank you!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 19th, 2014
OK, I had not gone to something exactly like this but I have been through a similar situation, though it's years back.

If so, you need to consult a physician, he will get you an antibiotic (preferably) and hopefully things will improve.
|

User Profile
replied October 3rd, 2017
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern. Sinusitis can be bothersome. Allergies trigger these in your case. Anti histamines, antibiotics, decongestants and home remedies will help in your case. Consult your physician and let them prescribe you some medications for supportive care.

I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Must Read
Do you have a cold or a sinus infection? Learn the difference plus more info on different types of sinus infections (sinusitis) here....
What can cause a short-term or long-term case of sinus infection? We review both. Learn how to avoid the risk of developing an infection in this section....
What are the first signs that you have trouble with your sinuses? Learn to identify a sinus infection early ... plus know when you should seek medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Sinusitis , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.