Must Read
Millions of Americans are diagnosed with cancer. But what exactly is cancer and how does it affect the body?...
What puts you at risk for developing cancer? Learn how you can avoid or reduce exposure to risk factors for cancer here....
Cancer can occur anywhere in the body. But what are the signs and symptoms of cancer? Learn about general symptoms of cancer here....
I'm going to try to make this short and to the point. I'm worried I might have ovarian cancer. This is why:

~ I've had unexplained weight loss going on for over 2 years. It's never a lot at once, but it's constant. It did stop for a couple months, and I actually gained a few pounds back and very quickly, but it has begun again. I've actually lost almost 10 lbs since Oct. 15. I have changed nothing in my eating habits or physical activity. (I'm not very big and cannot afford to keep losing weight, either.)

~ I began having this odd pressure/pain in my pelvic area. I have only ever felt this particular pressure when my babies were close to being born. It's kind of like my pelvic joint, inside, is going to sperate or something! It's painful. I have also been very crampy, and have had sharp pains in my right pelvic region, but sometimes it's both sides. I went for my annual exam just after this started, and my midwife said she felt a mass on my right ovary, as well as a lump in my right breast. I was sent for an u/s of the breast and pelvic area and a mammogram, and she did blood work and a urine test. Everything was "normal". They did find a small lump in my left breast that they think is a lymph node. I went to my sisters gynecologist for a second opinion, as mine up and left town. He had me get the same tests over again (the mammogram and ultrasound of the breast only on the right side). He said he thought it was fiberous tissue in my breast. He also said my right ovary was swollen. When he did the pelvic exam, I could have come up off the table and stuck to the ceiling! The whole exam really hurt, and it was horrifying when he pressed upon my right ovary! (how does one get a swollen ovary?) I have been taking Zovia 1/35 birth control pills non-stop for nearly 3 years straight. (my gyn left town just recently, but she had started me on them, and had me take them that way so I would have no period. She said I could do that or have a hysterectomy. I had a lot of problems after I had my tubal ligation in July 2003. Severe cramps all the time, bleeding non-stop. (it was sometimes heavy, and sometimes just spotting, but it was all the time) the pills helped those problems, and they went away. I was happy!) He wanted me to have the tests without the hormones in my body, just my own.

The mammogram and breast u/s were "normal" he said. The pelvic u/s showed a cyst on my right ovary. He never said what kind of cyst. He just said it wasn't big enough to cause me these problems. (I don't know how big it was. He didn't tell me directly and I didn;t think to ask just then)

The pelvic pain and pressure have been getting worse since it all began the beginning of October. For a couple months now I've been having urinary frequency and urgency, and sometimes I have a hard time emptying my bladder. Usually I just have to go a lot and sometimes it's urgent, though. (I was tested for a bladder infection and did not have one). I've also for a couple months now had problems with gas. It's not severe, but I never have had a problem with it before. Some constipation, too. I have not changed my diet or anything else.

I have been SO tired. This has gone on for a long time. I just can't sleep enough, and sometimes it hits me and I have to go lay down NOW. I get enough sleep each night, and shouldn't have this problem I don't think.
I take a good multi-vitamin. I also take vitamin D supplements. (My GP checked my Vitamin d3 level around May, when he did other blood work to check for reasons regarding the weight loss, and it was a bit low at 25.)

I'm 31, and have 3 children. My youngest is 5. My sister was diagnosed at age 35 with breast cancer. (she is the one who insisted I go see her gynecologist.)

Anyway, perhaps I'm paranoid thinking I could have ovarian cancer. My midwife wants me to have the both the mammo and ultrasounds repeated in 3 months. (the radiologist who ordered them suggested 6 months for the mammo, and 4 months for the u/s). My sister's gyn said he would see me in a year for my annual if I'd like to see him instead of the midwife. He also said for me to wait and see how I feel for a few months, and that he could do a laproscopy to check inside to see if I have endometriosis, or if something is twisted around in there, because things like that wouldn't show up on an u/s.

I'm not sure what to do. I feel awful. I don't want to wait a year to be rechecked! Yet at the same time I feel like the doctor/midwife think I'm crazy, as the tests keep saying nothing is wrong, and they do, too. I have this little "voice" telling me something IS wrong, and the first thing I thought of was ovarian cancer, but I'm not sure if that is my instinct talking, or I'm just paranoid or something. I had the same sort of "voice" telling me something was very wrong when I was 19, and I began having problems with my heart racing. My doctors then wouldn't listen to me and kept telling me I was having panic/anxiety attacks, and I kept telling them that it was something else, they were wrong, but they wouldn't listen. Then one day, 7 years later, my heart wouldn't slow down by itself and they had to listen to me. Sure enough I have a tachycardia problem, and have been on medication for it ever since. I guess I just don't want to wait years like I did then to find out if something is indeed wrong like my guts says, you know? But I don't want to look crazy, either! I don't know what to do.

Do you guys think I should keep pushing for an answer of some sort? Or wait like I'm being told? What would you do? Do you guys think I'm crazy, or being paranoid? Sorry this is so long. this stuff has really been bothering me, though, and I don't really have anyone to talk to I guess. Thank you for your time.

Puzzle
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 10th, 2008
Supporter
Hi Puzzle,

I'd suggest that you seek a diagnosis immediately. And go to another gynecologist who can treat you ASAP...if the opinion is the same about delaying the laproscopy for a few months then you'll know it's the best idea. But seek a second opinion first!

And let us know how it goes. Good for you to listen to your body! Wink
|

replied January 3rd, 2009
Thank you, Rooted.

I have finally made another appointment.It took me a while to get up the courage to do it. I'm going back to the gyn office I went to before my doctor up and left. There is another woman doctor there I will be seeing. I am going Monday, Jan. 5. I thought this would be the best doctor to see, as they have me records from before,and they have everything about my unexplained weight loss, and the other problems I had before.

Since my first post, I have still been experiencing the same things as I posted above. In addition to this, I have had a low grade fever (between 99.2 and 100.5 F), and some irregular bleeding. I decided also to go to a chiroprator, thinking maybe the pain in my pelvic area and hips could have something to do with just needing adjusted, perhaps I just have something not lined up right. He took some x-rays of my lower back and hips. In my pelvic area, the clips from my tubal ligation showed up. And right above the right clip, he pointed to something above it. He said it was about the size of a golf ball. He kept telling me that I absolutely HAVE to keep my appointment with the gyn! He said they need to do testing, an U/S, CT Scan, and maybe an MRI, although those are expensive and they might not do one of those. He said I could use some adjustments, as my lower back curves too much near my tail bone, but he does not believe my pain is from anything he can help with. Again he stressed I had to keep my appointment.

I'm quite a nervous wreck! I just hope the doctor listens to me and we can figure out what the problem is. I'll let you all know what happens. I thought I'd update this a bit. It's been a little while since I first posted this.
|

replied January 5th, 2009
Especially eHealthy
Sounds like the golf ball sized mass on your ovary is the cyst the doctor saw from your previous abdominal ultrasound. Have you had your thyroid levels checked?
|

User Profile
replied January 6th, 2009
Supporter
OK, Puzzle. Keep us posted. How did the appointment go yesterday?
|

replied January 6th, 2009
Yes, I have had my thyroid levels checked. That, as well as the other blood work I had done came back "normal". Now, the blood work I had done was in October, on the 7th. So I guess it's always possible that things can change in a few months time.

My appointment went okay. I talked to the doctor, and I told her everything that has been going on, and about all of my symptoms. She felt around on my belly/abdomen, stopped and said she wanted to get a scan. So she went to see if the ultrasound tech had time yesterday morning to do one. She was booked up, so I had to schedule one. It will be Friday morning at 10:30 AM, then I will see the doctor at 10:45 afterwards. I am SO glad Iw on't have to wait to hear results! That waiting for test results can really do a number on you. (well, at least it does me)She didn't say if she felt anything, and I didn't ask. I think maybe I was afraid to or something. I thought maybe she did, by the way she stopped and immediately said she wanted to get a scan done on me and tried to see if they'd do one right then. I'm going to try not to worry myself or drive myself crazy, though!

I will, of course, let you guys know what happens. Perhaps my experience will help someone else in some way when it's all said and done.(even if it's only giving someone the courage they need to make an appointment or something)

Thank you for your support!

Puzzle
|

User Profile
replied January 8th, 2009
Supporter
CT scan sounds like a good thing. My sister just had her ovary removed yesterday after a CT scan detected problems with ovarian cysts...keep following through. You'll get a diagnosis ASAP.
|