Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Possible night terrors while awake

Hello everyone. Today I went through a scary episode that has happened to me multiple times for the past 5 years now. I am a D1 student athlete in college. This keeps me very busy and when I choose to accomplish my full day I do not get a lot of sleep. Earlier I was studying for a midterm and right as I went to take a practice test one of my episodes hit. I've always thought it to be a type of panic attack which I have had before but now looking into other descriptions it sounds different. During this episode I go into a trance. Time seems to speed up faster and faster like an aggressive drum speeding up in my head. even though I am well aware that it's just my mind doing this to me anything that is happening around me (earlier a kid was tapping his pencil beside me) seems to be done in such an aggressive manner like it is a direct or violent threat towards me. I hear my normal thoughts being repeated and yelled back at me in my head in a hateful tone while I have the biggest knot in my stomach as if someone had just come up and told me something horrible. To end it there during these 5 minutes I'm completely terrified but aware that it's just my mind doing it to me and nothing bad is actually happening. I know others have experienced this and it does not seem like there is a diagnosis yet but im
On the hunt to find one. Please respond and thanks for your time.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 27th, 2015
Active User, very eHealthy
Hard to say from the info posted, and not sure this is necessarily a sleep related issue. Best bet is to get a full workup from a doc. That will help you at least treat or eliminate an underlying med condition.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply