Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Epilepsy Forum

Possible myoclonic seizures

I am a 14 year old girl who has recently begun twitching/jerking movements in the arms, it happens nearly all the time except from when I am rapidly moving, even then it still happens sometimes. I find it worsens when I am tired or have just woken up. I have been told by my mum to keep a diary of when it happens. My neck also twitches at different times to my arms. I had meningitis as a baby and had to go back for continuous check ups. I have exceeded my physicians expectations in level of intelligance and am currently studying for my GCSE's two years early. Anyway back to the point I have had no worries and it just started without any warning, can this lead onto a grand mal seizure as my mum after the past few days is scared to let me do anything on my own incase I have a grand mal because I am twitching and jerking. Does thinking about it make it worse. I have not been diagnosed with epilepsy do you think I should see a doctor, If this helps I also experience surges of rapid blinking.

Thankyou
Charlotte
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 9th, 2009
A muscle twitch isn't necessarily a myoclonic seizure. While I am not 100% sure on the limits of them, I have experienced them myself, and it typically involved a full body twitch, with me losing my train of thought for that split second, as well as dropping anything I was holding (a common effect). It once caused me to get into a minor car crash that made my next several months annoying. But if these twitches are causing some problems, you may want to get an EEG to check for abnormal brain activity.
|

replied April 9th, 2009
Its more of jerking movements not so much of a muscle twitch
|

replied April 9th, 2009
It could just be a tic as my neck is twitching aswell so...........
|
Must Read
Learn the basics about various conditions and diseases, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options....
Learn about risk factors to developing a certain conditions and diseases. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for certain conditions and diseases....