Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

possible my symptoms are a result of the anxiety /

User Profile
Hello. I think I might have HIV, and I'm very scared. Five years ago, I had a sexual encounter with my friend who is also male. Neither of us is gay, but we were young, and curious about sex, so we decided to "try it out." There was no actual penetration or ejaculation though, but there was oral. I realize this was really dumb, but I was very young, and didn't fully understand the risks. My friend is a virgin who has never been exposed to anything that could have caused him to get the virus, and his mother is healthy, and not on HIV meds, or under a doctor's care, or anything that would indicate HIV, so he couldn't have gotten it at birth. He seems like he can't possible have ever gotten it.

I haven't thought about this much over the last five years, but recently I had been having symptoms. Numbness and tingling in the feet, hot flushes in the feet, leg pain, diahriea, whitness on the tongue, the feeling of an oncomming flu, and night sweats. I have talked to my friend, several times,

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied January 30th, 2011
HIV and AIDS Answer A19130
Hello and thank you for posting your medical question on E health forum.

Your symptoms described appear to be very nonspecific and could be due to other infections like food poisoning, TB , bacterial pharyngitis, etc.

In addition, the risk of infection increases when either of the partners have multiple sexual partners, risky sexual behavior (unprotected sex), other STDs and history of IV drug use.

In absence of the above risk factors, you may be at low risk of infection.

The diagnosis of HIV does not depend on the symptoms but it depends on serology tests to detect the antibodies and antigens of HIV in the blood.

In case you are very anxious to know your status, it is advisable to undergo the HIV ANTIBODY 1/2 and P24 COMBO TEST which has a 100% Sensitivity. (reactive within 4 weeks of exposure).


Yes, it is possible for either partner to become infected with HIV through performing or receiving oral sex with a person infected with HIV.

If the person performing oral sex has HIV, blood from their mouth may enter the body of the person receiving oral sex through the lining of the urethra, vagina or cervix; anus; or directly into the body through small cuts or open sores.

If the person receiving oral sex has HIV, their blood, semen (cum), pre-seminal fluid (pre-cum), or vaginal fluid may contain the virus. Cells lining the mouth of the person performing oral sex may allow HIV to enter their body.

The risk of HIV transmission when either of the partner is infected, increases with the presence of open cuts, sores, in the mouth, presence of other STDs. The risk increases also if the person receiving oral sex ejaculates in the mouth of the person performing oral sex.

Transmission of Infection via oral sex with a partner can be prevented by - using a latex barrier. Ex. a condom (latex or polyurethane) on the penis; or a latex barrier between the mouth and the vagina (a natural rubber latex sheet, dental dam, or a cut-open condom that makes a square or a plastic food wrap.

You might consider consulting your GP for further advice and additional information on tests for HIV.

I hope this information here is helpful.

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Learn the basics about mental disorders, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a mental health condition. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for mental conditions....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.