Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

Possible Keratosis Pilaris...

Hi there,
This is my first time on this forum so be gentle.. For a good 6 years now, I have had what seems to be a rash on the outside of my arms. I have put up ith it until the last 12 months, its seems to have spread under my arms, down my sides and now its creeping on to my back. A little information on me:

I'm 26, non-smoker and my BMI shows me as slightly overweight.

And the condition:
This rash isn't itchy, isn't red, it's just random small spots with white heads on them. They look very similiar to Keratosis Pilaris but my GP seems to be clutching at straws as to how to fix it. He perscribed me Dermol (started to itch like crazy and didn't go away), then Balneum and Oilatum (Both of which seem to have done nothing) and I am now at my wits end.

Can you help? Photo's available if needed.


Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied January 3rd, 2011

It can be due to keratosis pilaris but an important possibility is of folliculitis as well. I suggest you to get an evaluation done from a dermatologist and till that time, apply warm compresses on the bumps and keep the area clean.

Topical antiseptic treatment and topical antibiotics such as mupirocin or neomycin containing ointment is very useful.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Skin , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.